Dream Performances (according to me)


Maybe I'm imagining things, but it seems like lately the song selection on Glee has skewed toward more recent top 40 hits. This is not all bad: I really enjoyed the Glee versions of "Teenage Dream", "Hey Soul Sister", "Just the Way You Are", and some of the others. "Tik-Tok"and "Blame it on the Alcohol"? Mmmm--not so much.

Now, I'm the first to admit I could stand to broaden my horizons a little.  In the past several episodes, most of the songs were completely new to me. Yes, even the Bieber stuff. Shocking, I know. I guess I'm not exactly up to date. I'm aware of what's popular. I'm just not that interested. That said, I have a hard time getting excited about covers of songs that are already played to death on the radio, especially when there is pretty much a limitless supply of wonderful music.

So, the other night while I was waiting for my boys to finish their scout meeting, I was thinking about songs I'd love to hear performed on the show. For some of them, I have an idea about who I would like to have sing them. The rest just make me happy. :)

"Maneater" by Hall and Oates--how has this one not been done already?! It's like Santana's theme song.

"Teenager in Love" by Dion and the Belmonts--I think it would be adorable if Mike sang this.

"Bye Bye Love" by The Everly Brothers--also cute for Mike, but I think it would also work for Sam.

"Respect" or "Chains of Love" by Erasure--when I was a teenager, Erasure was standard at ALL dances...it's just fun, feel-good music. I love all of their stuff, but I think these would make great group numbers.

"Freedom" or "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" by Wham!--if you can't tell, I'm a huge fan of cheesy 80s music. It makes me very happy. Blaine channels that "happy" vibe like no one else. Blaine + cheesy 80s music=VERY happy me. :)

"Unforgettable" by Natalie and Nat King Cole--definitely on par with "Happy Days/Get Happy".

"Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor--again, how has this one not been done?

"At Last" by Etta James--I desperately need Kurt to sing this once he gets his boy issues sorted out. His lower register is so gorgeous and I'd love for him to get a jazzy, meaty ballad that he can really sink his teeth into. I think he would also kill "Stormy Weather", "Someone to Watch Over Me", or "Can't Help Loving that Man of Mine".

"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cindi Lauper. How cute would this be?

"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears--another dynamite group number.

"In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel--Puck could use this one to make restitution for the "Fat Bottom Girls" debacle. Bonus points if he manages to scrounge up a boom box.

"Forever Young" by Alphaville--please, PLEASE let this be the last song of the series. I think this is my favorite song ever; the great, iconic song of my youth. It's the quintessential last dance.

Obviously, this is not a comprehensive list. It barely scratches the surface, actually. I didn't even get to The Cars, Whitney Houston, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Poison, Chicago, The Carpenters...not to mention the showtunes! The mind truly boggles...

 So, what songs are you dying to see covered on Glee?


xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment