Day...Whatever: The End

Okay, so I sort of ran out of steam at the end. I watched the last few episodes, but just couldn't summon the will to write about them. I wanted to say a few words, though, to close this project out.

When I decided to start this retrospective, I thought it would be a fun way to pass the hiatus. I was also looking forward to flexing my tired mom brain a little. I miss my brain sometimes, and this seemed like a good exercise. Thinking, writing, analyzing...the workout of cerebral champions! Combining this trifecta of mental stimulation with a bit of high school drama, some butt-kicking song and dance routines, and a copious amount of sarcasm seemed like the perfect idea. By and large, I enjoyed the challenge of writing off-the-cuff commentary, and, of course, I'm always looking for an excuse to watch my favorite show. The project did lead me in some unexpected directions, though, and not all of them were good.

During this process, I discovered several things. One is that I need a new keyboard. The keys stick and it makes me nuts. Another is that when I think about Glee too much, I like it a lot less. Case in point, when I watched "Furt" for the first time, I adored it. I thought it was sweet and joyful and beautiful. I still think that, in many respects. But the more times I watched and the longer I thought about it, the more upset I got. I was alarmed and perturbed by this development. This was obviously not what I wanted to have happen. I love Glee. This is my show. It's my THING, for crying out loud!

 So, here's what I've figured out. The Glee I fell in love with is gone, probably forever. This breaks my little gleek heart, but I guess it's like any dynamic thing worth loving. Over time, things inevitably change. And you can choose to go with it or you can choose to fall apart. When change occurs in people, sometimes they fight, break up, divorce, whatever. Other times, both parties back off a little, regroup, and give it another go. Recognizing that although things won't ever be the same again, maybe they'll turn out okay anyway. At the moment, it feels a little like Glee and I are staying together for the children. That probably sounds ridiculous. That's because I am pretty ridiculous. Be that as it may, I am completely enamored of these glee kids and the remarkable young actors who portray them. It's not their fault when the storylines get messed up or their character development stalls (or even reverses). I will continue to support them in hopes that the show which gave them life will eventually take responsibility and put their welfare above its own agenda and desires.

Another thing about love? Sometimes you have to turn a blind eye to certain things. Going in to the second act of Season 2, that's what I'm choosing to do. In the interest of maintaining the relationship, I'm going to try to focus on the positive! I love this show and what means to so many people. More than that, I love its potential. Whether that potential will ever be fully realized remains to be seen. I sincerely hope it will be. Because I WANT it to be great. I WANT it to reach out to even more people by expanding its focus. I WANT it to prove to me that my hope is not misplaced. Can you do that for me, Glee? The ball is in your court.


xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment