Day 17: Bad Reputation

"Bad Reputation" is one of my favorite Back 9 offerings. It is totally ridiculous, the plot line makes even less sense than usual, and there are lots of men in singlets (no offense, just not my thing). Despite these strikes against it, I can't help but love the whole mess.

I could watch the "U Can't Touch This" sequence for hours. Come to think of it, I probably have watched it for hours, collectively speaking.  This is undoubtedly the "wishful thinking mom" part of me talking, but it delights me to no end that the most scandalous idea these guys could come up with was "getting their glee on in the stacks". Also, glee club must have a doozy of a costume closet! The cute little librarian slays me. Do you suppose they ever actually performed for the Sunday service?

Of the two music videos, only one of them does anything for me. "Run, Joey, Run" is, as Rachel would say, "Fantastically terrible". The melodramatic song combined with the cheesy editing (love the kaleidoscope effect) and over-the-top acting make for what I consider one of Glee's classic moments. I don't think Mark Salling is a particularly strong actor, but he's absolutely perfect here, right down to the anguished looks and heaving chest. The cameo by Sandy Ryerson is one for the ages--even in a bit roll he plays it for all it's worth.

"Physical" is just...no. And not solely because of the singlets situation. It felt completely unnecessary-- stunt casting for the sake of stunt casting, which is never a good thing. This was just too much, especially on the heels of "Vogue" in the last episode. I guess I sort of understand what they were trying for, tossing Sue on the reputation bandwagon. I still don't like it, though.

Aside from "Run, Joey, Run" (which I had never heard before), all of the songs featured in this episode were already on my ipod. Yes, even "Ice Ice Baby". I'm not sure what this says about me or my taste in music, but whatever it means, I'm fairly certain "nerdy" is in there somewhere. Also, old. "Bad Reputation" makes me feel enormously nostalgic, actually. I was in high school when most of these songs were popular, in particular "U Can't Touch This". I remember everyone comparing notes on how to successfully perform "the running man". I'm sad to report that I never did get the hang of it. The cabbage patch, on the other hand...


xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment