Day 9: Wheels


"Wheels" IS one of my favorite episodes. Definitely top 5, and I'm talking about the entire series here. In terms of character development, this one is pivotal.

The theme is differences and acceptance. Everyone wants to be accepted by their peers; Artie in his wheelchair, shy Tina, pregnant Quinn, gay Kurt, etc. Like every other person alive, they are awkward and self-conscious about the qualities or circumstances that make them different. They all feel isolated on some level, and their struggles are both relatable and moving. By the end of this episode, our kids are at least beginning to come to terms with their issues. The real message here is acceptance of oneself, warts and all.

This episode also proves that Glee is capable of more than just fluff. True, there had been a few more serious moments previously, most notably with Kurt and his dad. Here, though, the writers tackle several hot button subjects and handle them respectfully while still maintaining an overall upbeat vibe. Disability is a very sensitive issue, and the introduction of two characters with Down Syndrome is a pretty bold move.

Two scenes in particular make this episode shine for me, and I'm guessing I'm not alone (for once) in my opinion. Sue with her sister absolutely melts me. I can't get over how her whole demeanor changes when she's with Jean. Her eyes go all soft and she has such a beautiful smile. I'm so happy that the writers gave her a soul, but then opted to conceal her humanity from the rest of the characters. Will and the glee kids might still be terrified of her, but WE know she's secretly a big softy.

The other "big money" scene is obviously the diva-off. The first time I watched that performance, I remember being blown away by Kurt. This was his first solo, and holy moly--boyfriend went for it! I was absolutely crushed when he flubbed his audition, but when he explained his reason, everything came clear. "Defying Gravity" is certainly one of the most apropos song selections of the whole series, in relation to storyline. Kurt could have easily withdrawn from the competition. It certainly would have saved face, and no one would have thought less of him. But his carrying on despite knowing what the outcome would be was a statement as powerful as the lyrics of the song. If he was going down, it would be on his own terms. It was his choice, and no one could take that from him. That was the moment, for me, that Kurt became the standard bearer for glee club. That moment was for everyone in that group, whether they realized it or not. Up until then, the club had been fettered by a general lack of confidence and low expectations, not only from outsiders, but from themselves. Then came the clarion battle cry: I'm through accepting limits...Some things I cannot change, but 'til I try, I'll never know... I think I'll try defying gravity, and you won't bring me down!

Okay, so their issues aren't all magically resolved after that final note, but what would be the fun in that? The fire has been lit, though. Just give it time.

No comments:

Post a Comment